The kitchen is the heart of the home, but many homeowners really don’t enjoy their kitchen in its present state.
Either its been the same for years and it’s time for an update, or you bought a home based on its location and layout, and now you’re ready to make it your own.
But this is one of the biggest financial investments a homeowner can make, so it’s important to be wise. Here’s 5 ways to save on your kitchen remodel without cutting corners.
- Make the kitchen more efficient, instead of larger. The trend of knocking down walls and increasing the size of kitchens makes it a cost prohibitive project for many homeowners. Choosing cabinets with organizational features that makes the space more functional will allow homeowners to create a more usable kitchen in the same footprint they have now. Some popular choices are drawer dividers, roll-out skinny cabinets that hold canned goods or baking pans, and built-in recycling centers.
- Find top-of-the-line appliances, for bargain basement prices. Every home improvement store has a row of clearance appliances that have to be marked down. Maybe they were returned because the store delivered the wrong one to a customer, or it has a little dent on the back that no one will see. These items are marked down considerably, and still offer the full warranty for a fraction of the price.
- Find unique lighting. You can choose one from the store, but uniqueness and character are popular themes in today’s home improvement trends. Check out estate sales or home recycling shops for some antique or retro choices that no one else on the block will have. You’ll also get them for a great deal.
- Avoid major layout changes. Another popular trend is moving the kitchen sink from its current location, to the kitchen island. While this might help functionality, it creates a huge expense to move all the plumbing. Others move the stove to the island, which sometimes means moving gas lines. If these changes aren’t very high on your priority list, you can save a lot by staying with your current layout.
- Check into custom cabinetry. Buying cabinetry from the big box stores isn’t necessarily the best choice. An experienced cabinet maker can often provide a better quality product, for the same price. And it allows you the opportunity to add features, accessories, and finishing touches that truly make it your dream kitchen.
In the Clayton, NC area, Edgewood Cabinetry has been creating custom cabinetry for 30 years. We offer a high quality product at a reasonable price. To find out more about our services and price match challenge, contact us.